Wait what?! The insane things I’ve heard a person with a disability: Healthcare Edition.

 I was born with Spina Bifida, which basically means that my spine didn’t form correctly. Yes, my spine is the reason why I can’t walk, so why is it that a surgeon felt the need to tell me that the hip surgery I had when I was 11 wasn’t going to allow me to walk unaided. Umm… no shit Sherlock. Make it make sense! Yes, I was a child, but I learned the little Head, shoulders, knees and toes song in pre-school and I knew the difference between my spine and hip. I wish I could say that mind boggling comments from drs ended there, but in reality, they only got weirder.


A few years ago, I had to have surgery #11 because my wheelchair cushion caused a pressure wound. I remember the surgeon asking if I really needed my wheelchair. Weird question, but ambulatory wheelchair users, those who only need it for longer distances, are a thing so I didn’t think much of that question at first. Then after explaining that yes, I do need the chair because I am paraplegic, this Dr responded that I didn’t answer his question. Wait, what?! Do they not teach the definition of paraplegic in medical school? What the fuck?! 

Although I’m not really considered ambulatory, if I absolutely had to, at that time I could have used a walker inside my house, with assistance. I thought this would possibly be an idea that this surgeon would like, but instead he responded that the problem with walkers is that you eventually need to sit down. Wait what?! Even the resident who was with him was looking at me and mouthing the words “What the fuck?!” Apparently this Dr, who ironically is sitting most of the time when I see him, feels that you should be standing at all times.

 Over the next few months, I was seeing this Dr regularly for follow ups, where he again should not have opened his mouth. This time, he told me that I should not need to ever use my wheelchair or get out of bed because I have a disability. Umm.. 1st of all, staying in bed for long periods causes pressure wounds so there’s that, and also, as I politely pointed out, this is not possible because I have a fucking life. Yes, those were my exact words, and quite honestly, I give 0 fucks if anyone found my response inappropriate because when you have a disability, you have to advocate for yourself, even if it means sounding like a raging bitch. All of the doctors I’ve mentioned were specialists, but unfortunately those who work in Primary Care are just as clueless.

Following my last surgery, I had an appointment with my primary care doctor, who I had not yet met. Among the many questions that he asked me about myself were “How & at what age did you acquire Spina Bifida?” I explained to him that it’s a birth defect, at which time he repeated his questions. Again my thoughts were Wait what?! Apparently he didn’t understand that a birth defect is something that you have at birth… It’s literally called a BIRTH defect. On a positive note, at least this doctor was able to read my name correctly rather than calling me by my middle name like the doctor I had before him did for 4 years.

I realize that in both this and my previous blog I probably sound like a total asshole, and as I mentioned previously, yes, I absolutely can be. However, put yourself in my position, how would you respond to ignorant people, especially healthcare professionals who in theory should be more educated than me. 
I laugh and make fun of the things that have been said to me over the years, but honestly it terrifies me that I have had so many medical appointments where I have found myself saying Wait, what?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wait what?! The insane things I’ve heard as a person with a disability.

Bipolar Funhouse